We make unrestricted, core and project grants for charitable work in the UK.
Learn more about our approach to funding, and what to expect from us as a funder.
As a result of COVID-19, we know that many organisations are still in crisis mode. To better support organisations through this, we want to provide flexibility on our strategy, our application process and in our approach to reporting. You can learn more about this in our guidance for support.
Open and trusting grant-making
Our approach to funding
- Long-term, core funding
- 66% of our active grants are for core costs, or are unrestricted.
- Most of our grants are for three years (54%) or longer than three years (32%).
- Backing the work we care about
- Flexible and open to learning
- Our approach to learning is based on setting mutually agreed outcomes for the work we fund. We expect these outcomes to change over time.
- We encourage organisations to tell us when things are not going well, and to change and adapt their work over the course of our grant.
- We will only ask for information we need and use, and commit to sharing what we learn.
- Increasing our capacity
- At the moment, we have a London-based team of 11 funding managers managing an active portfolio of 900 grants.
- Under our new strategy we will be making longer, larger grants and the size of our portfolio will decrease. We will have more time to meet, visit and talk to the organisations we fund as time goes on.
- Please invite us to events and meetings - we will make every effort to attend if we can, and if not we will try to highlight and support the valuable work in other ways.