The Esmée Fairbairn Foundation aims to improve the quality of life throughout the UK.
Apply for funding
Read our helpful step by step guide.Apply for funding
New research from Policy Exchange, funded by Esmée Fairbairn, highlights the importance of parks and other urban green spaces to the social and economic wellbeing of the country.
Providing free outdoor space for exercise, socialising and relaxation, parks can benefit both physical and mental health. However, on average local authority spending on open spaces was cut by 10.5% between 2010/11 and 2012/13 and there is no ring-fence protecting the budget spent on maintaining green spaces. Combined with the increasing demand for housing and other urban development there is a risk that the UK’s parks will deteriorate or become spaces that are the preserve of the wealthy.
This paper suggests a wide range of proposals to improve local green spaces.Find out more
- “.@PastureFed animals will be showcased on BBC Countryfile this Sunday - bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04… more about them here pfla.org.uk/about-us/”6 days ago
- “Film screenings get people with dementia singin in the rain! Lovely article on @AgeUKLancashire @TheDukesTheatre work theguardian.com/society/2014/a…”2 weeks ago
- “Guardian, Telegraph & Times take "park levy" for their angle on @Policy_Exchange research theguardian.com/cities/2014/au… telegraph.co.uk/health/healthn…”2 weeks ago
- “The Daily Mail take the "green prescriptions" recommendation from @Policy_Exchange 's report for their angle dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2… #parks”2 weeks ago
- “Lots of coverage today for @Policy_Exchange 's research on parks which we funded policyexchange.org.uk/publications/c… -how should we protect our parks?”2 weeks ago